Saturday, January 12, 2008

Dime!

I noticed that sales persons at the stores use this expression quite exclusively in this area. I cannot tell whether this is unique to the small towns in Spain because I only began to notice it recently. A worldreference.com forum thread explains it as "tell me." I don't think a shoe sales person will approach me with a "tell me" in USA. They would say "How can I help you?" or "Can I help you?"

Now, I am thinking if it is appropriate to address a customer as "tell me" for it sounds informal. However, in small towns of USA, I have heard people in service industry address their customers as "hon," which sounds equally informal but viewed as a form of affection and normal - even preferred by the locals.

This dilemma, encountered by a foreigner, actually represents one of many reasons why it is more efficient to learn and be proficient in a language in the country that it is spoken than taking a course at home. As grown ups, we tend to learn a new language by intellectualizing while the kids soak it up without comparing and questioning.

The spoken-language is closely tied to the culture and ad infinitum dynamic, where it never ceases to evolve. These cultural differences result in expressions in language and consequently in misunderstandings. Based on my own experiences, knowing many different cultures definitely opens one's horizons and improves his/her prospects...

Hasta la vista baby!

No comments: